United Nations imposes sanctions on Pyongyang over nuclear ambitions, as McMaster says Trump deeply briefed on threat posed by Kim Jong-un
Further action is required against North Korea, US ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley said on Saturday as new United Nations sanctions against Pyongyang were announced.
Earlier, National Security Adviser HR McMaster said Donald Trump had been deeply briefed on recent missile tests carried out by Pyongyang, and said the US would do everything we can to to pressure this regime while seeking to avoid a very costly war.
Haley spoke to the UN security council after the 15-member body imposed the new sanctions against North Korea, in response to its two long-range missiles tests in July.
We should not fool ourselves into thinking we have solved the problem, Haley said. Not even close. The North Korean threat has not left us, it is rapidly growing more dangerous. Further action is required. The United States is taking and will continue to take prudent defensive measures to protect ourselves and our allies.
Washington would continue annual military exercises with South Korea, Haley said.
The UN-approved sanctions include a ban on exports worth more than $1bn, a huge bite out of North Koreas total exports, valued at $3bn last year. Countries are also banned from giving any additional permits to North Korean laborers another source of money for the regime of Kim Jong-un and all new joint ventures with North Korean companies and foreign investment in existing ones are banned.
Nine North Koreans, mainly officials or representatives of companies and banks, have been added to the UN sanctions blacklist, banning travel and freezing assets. An asset freeze has also been imposed on two companies and two banks.
The US-drafted sanctions were negotiated with China, North Koreas chief ally, and are aimed at making Pyongyang return to negotiations on its nuclear and missile programs.